Founded in 1926, Wooster School, a co-educational, Pre K-12, college preparatory day school with an enrollment of approximately 375 students, is located in Danbury, Connecticut. Wooster educates a diverse population of students in academic ability, socioeconomic background, and ethnicity. The School is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools. Wooster is a community of thinkers, learners, and creators. By combining tradition, innovation, and the power of relationships, we produce curious, capable and compassionate learners who possess the skills and dispositions to be successful and fulfilled learners for life.
Director of the Lower School
Wooster School is seeking a Director of the Lower School. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative appointment reporting to the Director of Divisions and Head of School.
The Director of the Lower School will be an exemplary teacher-learner and leader with a love for children and the science of learning. The successful candidate will be a creative thinker and skilled communicator, with excellent analytical, organizational, and leadership skills. She/he must be a supportive team member who can understand the Lower School program within the context of the larger institution. She/he must also love the fun, adventure, and unpredictability inherent in the daily life of a lower school.
A commitment to Wooster School's mission and vision for this core program, including an understanding of the research-based individualized instructional foundation upon which they are based, is essential. The Director will exhibit a strong and independent work ethic while managing processes and effectively communicating with all related constituencies.
The Director will have open, pro-active, and sustaining work relations with all constituencies, including parents, students, faculty, and administrative colleagues. The ability to envision and implement programs that encourage and support students to reach their true personal and academic potential will be essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the lower school curriculum and student support system.
- Provide positive leadership and support for the faculty and contracted professionals who work with lower school students. The Director will intentionally seek out continuing opportunities for educator professional development and success.
- Act in concert with the Admissions Office to evaluate prospective students, admitting program appropriate students who will benefit from and contribute to the Lower School.
- Collaborate across divisions to support the learning outcomes and experiences of all students.
- Promote and market the Lower School. Share success stories with potential feeder schools and relevant area preschools and daycare facilities.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities Required and/or Highly Encouraged
- Demonstrated expertise and technical proficiency in support of teachers of lower school students.
- Demonstrated passion for working with younger students, and of not being afraid to mix it up on the playground!
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and follow.
- Ability to work effectively and independently with parents.
- Outstanding technology skills and demonstrated ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Demonstrated passion for brain science and learning, and deep curiosity about the future of independent school education.
How to Apply
Please submit a Letter of Application, Resume, and Philosophy Statement to:
Assistant to the Head of School
91 Miry Brook Road
Danbury, CT 06810
Wooster School is looking for substitute teachers with teacher training and experience with students in grades Pre-K through 12th. For those interested in Pre-K through Grade 5, please send resumes and letter of interest to Mary Beth Brady at mary.beth.brady@woosterschool.
Wooster School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we provide a work environment that welcomes diversity. In addition to a competitive salary, employees receive retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short and long term disability and life insurance benefits.
All employees are subject to a criminal background check before any contractual offer is final.